Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Disjointed Thoughts

I always wanted to be a writer. My first major in college was Journalism but I soon got overwhelmed by the idea of approaching complete strangers. So I switched to English. In many ways this suited my personality. Reading and writing are solitary pursuits, nobody watching, judging, perfect for me. Once I switched majors I was taking as many English classes as possible and this was nothing but reading. Reading several books in a week or I was supposed to be anyway. The professor would say "Read Upton Sinclair's Main Street" and then we would spend one day, maybe two, discussing it. I was not used to this kind of teaching. My high school teachers spoonfed us the textbooks. So while I did pretty well in high school and college, it was an adjustment. The combination of real life, work, and homework proved to be too much. Something had to give and since I needed money to live, the college always suffered.

Now as an adult I fantasize about spending my free time writing but I am finding it again, overwhelming. I want it to be perfect. But writing is many small steps and it is a habit. So I am going to use this blog to practise writing again. These entries may not always be cohesive or complete but I want to try to challenge my mind to calm down and organise itself through structure and repetition. And learn how to spell again.

No comments:

Post a Comment